Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Concert Review: BIG BLUE PLANET

Big Blue Planet
Shotz, Spartanburg, SC
Sunday, February 18, 2017


I caught Big Blue Planet, a great band from Upstate South Carolina on Sunday, February 18th at a club called Shotz in the Pinewood area of Spartanburg, SC. The band kicked off a fundraiser for a guy named Jeremy Penland who was involved in a motorcycle accident on December 2, 2016. The man has had six surgeries to repair the damage to his hips and leg, and will require a prosthesis.

Big Blue Planet do quite a lot of benefit shows. The guys are not only talented, they have big hearts. I have been friends with their drummer, Jim Summer, for many years and honestly, he is one of the best drummers I have ever seen. I was even blessed to play in a band with him once as a three-piece. I still have no idea how I lead a three-piece, but we did it!

Big Blue Planet also features Phill Cooper, lead vocals and acoustic guitar; Gary Wright, guitar and vocals; Brandon Cash, guitar; and Mark Shirley, bass. The band plays an exotic mix of deep classic rock album tracks, many of which you may have never heard played by a cover band. Did I say cover band? They also have plenty of original music on hand for when the time is right.

On this day the boys came out of the chute kicking with the Genesis song “Land of Confusion.” I always loved that one back in the day, and have not ever heard it played live. Excellent. Next up we were treated to some Bryan Adams, “Summer of ’69.” Every man in this band appears to be at the top of his game. I always loved Big Blue, but have never, ever heard them sound better than they did on this day.

I was truly pleasantly surprised when the band announced they were going to do a song by the ‘70s Capricorn Records band Hydra. They played the solid blues number, “Feel a pain,” from Hydra’s first album. Talk about happy memories! The older I get, the more I love hearing the songs from my high school days.

The guys can flat blow it out on some Styx as well, and “Renegade” rocked like a bucking bronco. Suddenly I felt like I was back near the stage at the old Greenville Memorial Auditorium. Heck, I think I saw Styx there five different times!

The original song “Help Me to Love” is a beautiful tune performed by Phill. Now this guy has a voice! He can channel Geddy Lee, Steve Perry or Steve Walsh with equal skill. Breathtaking. And he writes a great song too!

Another favorite of mine back in the ‘70s was Edgar Winter, and when they started “Free Ride,” it was all I could do to keep from jumping up there to join in on backing vocals. I actually got to do that with Edgar Winter and Jerry LaCroix on January 1, 2000! But I held myself back. I never want to be one of the musicians that step onto the stage and try to take the focus away from the band. It’s their gig, people. Think about it!

Without a doubt, my favorite song of the day was “In Memory of Elizabeth Reed,” by the Allman Brothers Band. Not a lot of bands get that right, but Big Blue Planet did a very nice job. One of my all time favorites.

The band was going to do another set after break, but sadly I had to be somewhere, so I said goodbye to the band and left. I was bummed I missed their cover of “Carry On Wayward Son” by Kansas. I know they rocked it and the whole second set. They always do.

Check out Big Blue Planet on Facebook, and if you are a venue or a booking agent, I highly recommend BBP. Write them via their FB page.

-Buffalo







No comments:

Post a Comment